Tess Ward’s alternative brunch recipes
We all long for something a little different at brunch or a healthy nutritious snack to sate that craving. Thanks to inspirational chef Tess Ward, she’s done the hard work for us.
The Le Cordon Bleu-trained chef, who’s also had stints at Michelin-starred kitchens, has partnered with Kallø to create a collection of quirky and delicious topping recipes with Kallo Corn and Rice Cakes, encouraging us to get creative in the kitchen.
1. Pea and Feta Puree with Fried Egg
This simple take on the classic egg is packed full of protein – perfect to keep you going throughout a busy morning.
1 tbsp olive oil
Ground black pepper
100g frozen peas
75g soft goats cheese
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp chopped mint leaves, plus extra for garnish
2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1. Place all the ingredients for the pea puree into a blender and pulse for 4 seconds to bring the mixture together.
2. Place a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil, turning the pan to coat the bottom.
3. Crack the eggs gently into the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, or until set.
4. Serve by coating each of the Kallø Lightly Salted Rice Cakes with the pea puree and topping with the fried eggs.
5. Finish with a generous grinding of black pepper.
Read more: 3 rules to upgrade your vegetarian diet
2. Wasabi Avocado and Lumpfish
Wow friends (or better still, treat yourself!) with this simple yet sumptuous snack that looks and tastes great.
1 1/2 tsp wasabi
1 tbsp limejuice
Pinch of Salt
2 tsp lumpfish roe
Nori seaweed, cut in strips, to serve
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds, to serve
1. Place the avocado into a blender with the wasabi, limejuice and a pinch of salt. Blitz until you achieve a smooth cream. You may have to push the avocado down the side of the processor halfway through blending.
2. Top the Kallø Organic Sesame Seed Rice Cakes with the avocado cream and finish with a dollop of lumpfish roe, nori seaweed and toasted sesame seeds.
3. Tomato and Pomegranate with Feta
Strapped for time? This tasty treat is packed full of fresh ingredients so you won’t miss out on those essential nutrients!
200g cherry tomatoes, chopped in quarters
2 spring onions, chopped
2 tsp garlic infused olive oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
4 tbs pomegranate seeds
2 tbs chopped coriander leaves
2 tbs crumbed feta, plus extra to finish
Ground black pepper
1 Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
2 Top your Kallø Organic Unsalted Rice Cakes with the mixture and enjoy.
Inspired to create your own quirky and delicious toppings in the kitchen? Steal some of Tess’ A-list approved tips:
- Try cooking with one new ingredient every week. It’ll help you grow your confidence, discover new dishes and transform your recipe repertoire. Even better, it’ll ensure that you get a wider array of vitamins and minerals.
- Rice cakes are more than a tasty snack – they make a great alternative to bread too. Gluten-free bread is often expensive and disappointingly crumbly, so a cheaper, convenient alternative is always a good option. No need to toast them either – bonus!
- Kallø’s cakes fill you up without leaving you with that heavy feeling that comes after eating bread. This way, you can afford to be more generous with a variety of toppings. Because they’re so light, you can have generous portions without getting over full.
For more tips, turn to Tess’ book The Naked Diet (Quadrille Publishing, £16.99). Follow Tess on Twitter @tesswardchef