Superfood dinners: warm quinoa with beets and swiss chard
3 medium beets (about 375g), scrubbed well and trimmed
170g quinoa, rinsed and drained
375ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bunch Swiss chard, washed, stems removed and finely chopped
110g crumbled goat’s cheese
For the dressing:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon or grainy mustard
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5. Wrap beets loosely in foil. Roast for 40-45 mins, or till the beets are tender.
2. Once beets are cooked, place quinoa in a pan, add stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook covered for 15-20 mins. The quinoa is done when grains are translucent and all liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork, remove from heat and let stand covered for 5-10 mins.
3. When beets are cool enough to handle, peel and dice. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
4. Heat oil in frying pan. Add garlic and chard; sauté for 2-4 mins, till chard wilts. Add to bowl with dressing. Toss to coat.
5. Add quinoa and beets; toss mixture to coat ingredients. Sprinkle cheese on top and serve immediately.