Something special: Healthy chocolate truffles
Mouth watering? Us too. The good news is that with these truffles, you can indulge with impunity. They’re free from refined sugar and full of superfood raw cacao. There’s even avocado and beetroot hiding in there! Oh, and they’re dairy-free too, so all good if you’re vegan or intolerant to lactose.
1 large ready cooked (vacuum pack) beetroot
1 large ripe avocado, peeled
¼ tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
100g unsweetened cacao powder plus extra for dusting
Desiccated coconut for dusting
1. Put the beetroot, avocado, vanilla extract, maple syrup and half of the cacao powder into a blender or food processor. Process until well combined.
2. Add the remaining cacao powder to the blender and again process until well combined.
3. Transfer the chocolate mixture to a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
4. Once chilled, scoop tablespoon-sized portions of the mixture. Roll in your palms to form balls – the mixture will be slightly sticky but should form balls easily.
5. Put some extra cacao powder and desiccated coconut in a plate and roll the chocolate truffles around in one or the other to coat.